It was in November 1981 that Mahatma Gandhi College was established at Lalpur, Purulia. From the date of foundation it is absolutely clear that the College is reasonably a new one. But what began as a tiny seed grew into a moderate tree sheltering now more than one thousand students every year in its various departments.It is a govt. aided undergraduate college and is affiliated to Sidho-Kanho-Birsha University. It received its registration under 2(f) &12B from the UGC in the year 1990.
It is in recognition of our sustained endeavor and also due to the support of the education loving people of this locality, our institution has been assessed and accredited by NAAC as Grade - “B+” college which is effective from 16th September 2016. One might take note of the fact there has been an evident advancement from the grade “B” which we had acquired in the first cycle of NAAC in 2008.
The Primary objective of the founders of this college is to provide a scope and opportunity of higher education to the people of this locality especially amongst the women and who are economically weak and are not in a position to send their wards to distant colleges. Thus the vision and mission of our institute has already been set by them.
Our VisionTo spread higher education that promotescapacity building and holistic development of aperson.
Mission(a) To bring SC/ST/OBC students and femalestudents under the parasol of higher education so as to promote communal harmonyandcultural integration.
(b) To provide the right platform for co-curricularlearning to train the students in critical thinking, social service and leadership for the all-rounddevelopmentof thestudents
Academic Courses Offered:B.A.(Honours& Program), B.COM. (Honours &Program) & B.SC.(Honours &Program)
Co-curricular Courses Offered
National Service Scheme(NSS) To involve students in national services, social welfare and awareness programs.
National CadetCrops(NCC) To develop character, discipline and the ideals of selfless service amongst the students, so that they can contribute their service to the nation.
Core Values and Professional Ethics
Mahatma Gandhi College is an institution which provides higher education to a large number of students belonging to different cultures, castes and religions. Apart from traditional education, the college also strivestowards growing human values and ethics among the students by encouraging them to participate in programs related to society and environment. The college conducts activities like Blood Donation Camp, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and important awareness programs in the college campus and in the villages close to the college campus. All these activities of the college are guided by a set of core values which are as follows:
ExcellenceMahatma Gandhi College aims to become a center of excellence in higher education and social responsibility. The college is committed to innovation in teaching-learning, research and outreach programs as well as to promote holistic development of the students so as to the creation of a better society.
Diversity The college embraces all aspects of human diversity and value to ensure a vibrant learning community and is committed to provide an inclusive, supportive, safe and welcoming environment for all students coming from a large spectrum of cultures, castes, religions and community.
Integrity The college is committed to inculcate cultural, religious, regional and national integrity by encouraging the students to be loyal to their fellow beings, teachers, society and country so as to protect and preserve regional culture and heritage.
Ethics and Dignity The college is committed to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, respect and scholarly ethics. So it is expected from all employees and the students of the college to perform conduct based on integrity, moral respect and civility which is driven by highest ethical standards.
Service to Nation The college is committed to developing the skilled manpower to serve the Nation.
Environmental ConsciousnessThe college is committed in practicing eco-friendly techniques for sustainable development of the Nation.
Code of Conduct for Students
All students must abide by the rules and regulations of the college. The college authority may take disciplinary action if any student violates the rules and regulations. Students are advised to adhere to the code of conduct and discharge their responsibilities as a student. Students are required to follow the rules as follows:
- The classes begin at 10:30 a.m. or 11:00 a.m. and may continue up to 4:30 p.m. Students should come to the college before beginning of class lectures.
- Every student must carry his or her identity card inside the college campus.
- Students should attend classes regularly and on time.
- Students should maintain silence in and outside the classrooms during all class lectures.
- Use of mobile phones during class lectures is strictly prohibited.
- Students are expected to read notices/circulars displayed on the notice-board.
- Students must help to keep the college campus neat and clean. Splitting and throwing bits of paper in the premises should be avoided.
- Smoking as well as drinking is strictly prohibited within the college campus. Nobody is allowed to enter in the college if he or she is drunk.
- Misuse of the college premises and any damage caused to college property should lead to disciplinary and penalize action.
- In case of any loss or damage of any book issued to a student by the college library, the student will pay printed price of the book plus 5% extra cost per year from the date of issue on simple interest.
- Students should not involve in any kind of ragging activities. Any violation of this will lead to penal action as per guidelines of the Supreme Court and any other competent authority.
- All acts of violence and sexual harassment of any kind will lead to disciplinary action or penal action as per the competent authority.
Code of Conduct for Teachers
All teachers of the college are expected to display a good conduct so that the students consider the teachers as their role model. Teachers are required to follow the following code of conduct:
- Teachers must maintain high standards of punctuality, honesty and professional ethics.
- Teachers should perform their duties efficiently and effectively as per the norms laid down by the Governing Body, Teachers’ Council or any other competent authority.
- Teachers should be responsible to conduct regular classes (theory / practical) following daily class routine and as per decision taken in the departmental meeting.
- All faculty members should prepare a lesson plan, notes etc. in advance before commencement of classes.
- Teachers must perform college or university examination related duties (such as: paper-setter, invigilator, examiner etc.) as per requirements and as per duty assigned. Teachers must undertake internal assessment as per allotted by the Principal, Examination Sub-committee, HoDs or any other competent authority.
- Teachers should not be partial in assessment of a student or deliberately overmark, undermark or victimize a student on any ground.
- Every teacher should deal impartially with students regardless of their religion, caste, economic, social and physical identity.
- Teachers should carry out and assist to carry out other academic, co-curricular and organizational activities that may be assigned to them. However, the Principal or any other competent authority will be impartial in allotting any such work / duty and will allot as per interest of a teacher and requirement in the given situation.
- Every teacher should not be absent from his/her duties, without having obtained the permission of the competent authority. In case it is not possible for the employee to obtain such permission owing to circumstances beyond his control, he /she should intimate to competent authority as early as possible.
- No faculty member shall apply for job, post or scholarship without previous knowledge of the competent authority.
- Teachers must report in time to duty as per working hours prescribed and should be available in the campus unless they have assigned duties elsewhere.
- Teachers shall attend Faculty Development Programs, Orientation Programs, Refresher Courses, Seminars, Workshops etc. which are mutually beneficial for both the college and the teacher.
- Teachers are encouraged to write subject reference books or to publish their original research findings in reputed journals and present papers in conferences/ symposiums/ seminars etc.
- Causal Leave (CL), Earned Leave (EL), Duty Leave (DL) and Medical Leave (ML) may be availed with permission of the Principal in accordance with rules and regulations, governed by the State Government, UGC and SKBU.
- Study Leave for higher studies/ higher degree will be granted at the discretion of the College Governing Body in accordance with regulations and guidelines of the State Government, UGC and SKBU.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR NON-TEACHING STAFF
Allnon-teaching staff members of the college shall conform to the rules and regulations laid by the competent authority. They should display the highest possible standards of professional behavior and abide by the following code of conduct:
- Every staff shall discharge his/her duties efficiently and diligently following all norms and job details assigned by the competent authority.
- All staff members should cooperate with students, colleagues and superiors.
- All staff members should maintain the image of the institute through maintaining standards of dress, general courtesy etc.
- All staff members should maintain the appropriate levels of confidentiality with respect to student and staff records and other sensitive matters.They must not divulge official information or documents to outsiders.
- Staff members must never tamper, delete, hide, alter or forge official documents / receipts.
- No staff employed in the college shall absent himself from his/her duties without prior permission. In case of sickness or absence on medical ground, a medical certificate to the satisfaction of the college authorities should be produced.
- No staff member shall engage directly or indirectly in any trade, business or any remunerative work without specific permission from the college authorities.
- No staff member shall send any application for employment under any other institute or agency without specific sanction of the competent authority of the college.
- No staff employed in the college should be involved in any criminal offence. He/she should not engage himself/herself or participate in any activities which are anti-secular with tends to create disharmony and discrimination in society or country.
- No staff member shall bring or attempt to bring any political or any other influence on his/her colleagues or the superior authority in respect of his/her individual service interest.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR GOVERNING BODY
The governing body of Mahatma Gandhi College is responsible for ensuring the effective management of the affairs of the college and for planning its future development. The following code of conduct applies to all the existing members of the governing body for any particular tenure.
- The governing body should perform the activities to approve the mission and vision of the college. It should prepare long-term academic plans for academic improvement and maintenance of academic standards which the college achieves.
- The governing body should monitor institutional performance and keep under review the quality assurance policies, plans and procedures within which the college operates.
- The governing body should ensure that the institution is regulated in conformity with the specific guidelines in the statues, ordinances and provisions of the affiliating university, the State Government and UGC.
- The governing body should actively monitor that the institution implements the requirements of State and National Governments for reservations of seats and staff positions and provide required support to minority groups.
- The governing body can take necessary steps for creation of posts and appointment of Principal / Teacher-in-Charge, teachers and any other staff in accordance with the provisions of any law or rule or order in force for the time being to provide the instructional and other services necessary for efficient and effective operations of the college.
- The governing body should ensure that non-discriminatory systems are in place to provide equality of opportunity for staff members and students irrespective of caste, creed, religion, community and sex.
- The governing body should maintain transparency and fairness in all kind of administrative activities. All members of the governing body should carry out their functions responsibly and fairly with the care, diligence, loyalty and integrity and in the best interests of the college.
- All members of the governing body shall respect the confidentiality of information received in the performance of their duties as well as the confidentiality of the deliberations in which they participate.